New York Post – New Yorkers seek justice with class-action coronavirus lawsuits against China
When Richard Guasto died of complications from the coronavirus after his stay at a Long Island rehab facility last month, his grief-stricken family blamed China — and now they’re suing the country.
“It’s just not fair,” said Guasto’s son, Richard Jr. “He was a relatively young man. This should not have happened to him.”
The elder Guasto, who owned a cleaning company in West Babylon, was 58 years old and in good health when he entered a Nassau County nursing home that doubled as a rehab facility in March, recuperating from a fractured pelvis and ankle suffered in a car accident, said his son.
But the family suspects the Hempstead facility, which they refused to name, was riddled with the coronavirus. Shortly after he was admitted, Guasto suffered severe respiratory issues, and was transferred to a local hospital where he tested positive for COVID-19, his son told The Post. He died on April 15.